Habitat for Humanity is a Christian housing ministry financed through grants, private donations, Habitat Minnesota, businesses and volunteer labor. Our purpose is to build homes with families and sell the houses at no profit to families who could not otherwise afford a home. Please read the following items to see if you have an interest in our ministry and to see if you meet our general guidelines:
o Need for adequate housing (obtained from information on application & home visit)
o Ability to pay
o Willingness to partner with Habitat
o Live or work in our service area for at least six months (Service area includes the counties of Blue Earth, Nicollet, Le Sueur, Sibley, and Watonwan)
With your permission we will verify employment, other income, public assistance, and rental history. We will also perform a credit check, sex-offender database check and criminal background check.
Please bring/send all documents with completed application. Incomplete applications will not be processed.
The Family Selection Committee reviews all completed applications with supporting documents.
- Habitat for Humanity Application for Housing completed & signed
- Federal income tax returns and W-2’s for the past two years for each applicant
- Privacy Notice Habitat for Humanity Homebuyers signed (attachment)
- Applicant and Co-applicant Employment Verification Form–completed by your employer
- 1 month of employment pay stubs for Applicant & Co-Applicant
- Public Assistance Verification Form–completed by your case manager or their supervisor, if applicable
- Verification of child support payments (From Child care support website)
- A copy of your lease, money order receipt or cancelled rent check for rent payment
- Rental verification completed by landlord
- Copies of monthly bills
- Utility bills (electric, gas, water/sewer)
- Other household bills (example: phone/internet/cable)
- Car payments and/or Insurance payments
- Credit card payments
- Child care
- Alimony/Child support (amount you pay)
- School loans
- Other monthly estimated bills/expenses
- Estimate your monthly expense for the following:
____________Food ____________Clothing ____________Car maintenance (gas & repairs)
The application process takes between two and three months. In addition, if you are not initially accepted, you may reapply.
If you are approved for a Habitat home, we will ask that you join programs to learn and practice budgeting, home repair, and maintenance. Monthly meetings are scheduled for families to meet this requirement:
- FAIM–Family Assets for Independence in Minnesota – applicants must meet income guidelines to qualify for this program
- HomeStretch–open to anyone thinking of buying a home
Adults must complete 200 sweat equity hours. These hours are required and will be performed on your home, other Habitat homes, in the ReStore, or other possible options approved by the Executive Director.
Once you meet the sweat equity and Family Support requirements, we will sell you a home for what it cost Habitat to build. Habitat house payments include taxes and insurance, an escrow account. Your house payments will then be used by Habitat to build more homes.
Families are selected from those applicants who meet the qualifications stated above. Because we are a volunteer organization, we cannot guarantee all qualified applicants who apply will receive a house. However, we will strive to meet the needs of as many qualified applicants as our resources permit.
If you need help filling out the application form, or if you have any questions about Habitat for Humanity, please feel free to call Carol at the Habitat for Humanity of South Central Minnesota office at 507-388-2081 ext. 3.